Rev. Francis Henry Coldwell was presented by the Lord Chancellor on behalf of the Crown, and was instituted in 1855 by Prince Lee, the first Bishop of Manchester. He was curate to the Rector of Wigan before his preferment to Deane. In 1859 he signed the vestry minutes "F.H.Thicknesse," for he had by royal licence assumed the arms and surname of his wife's family. Whilst he was vicar an innovation the social life of the parish was introduced: entertainments were given in the school by local talent at a charge of one penny. Profits from the enterprise helped the work of the Sunday School. Rev. F.H.Thicknesse became Rural Dean of Bolton and an honorary canon of Manchester Cathedral. He was appointed Rector of Brackley in 1868, and was consecrated Suffragan Bishop of Leicester in 1887.