Rev. John Russell Line was appointed by the Simeon Trustees in 1912. Before coming to Deane he was Vicar of Christ Church, Stone, in Staffordshire. At the Easter Vestry of 1913 the vicar informed the meeting that he had consulted the highest legal and ecclesiastical authorities and been informed that since the passing of the Local Government Act, Deane had no more right than any other parish to appoint more than two wardens. The Chancellor of the Diocese had agreed, however, that Deane, being an ancient church, might have three, of which the vicar might choose two and the vestry one, but the vicar agreed that the vestry should appoint two and himself one, which practice is still followed. Rev. J.R.Line had occupied the old vicarage for only a short time when it was sold and taken down. Parts of it were considered to be beyond repair. The vicar moved into a house on Wigan Road until such time as a vicarage could be purchased. Rev. J.R.Line retired in 1927 owing to ill-health.