Links to documents on the Lambeth Palace website have been restored.
Menu system changed to help mobile devices.
After the dissolution of the monasteries church bells often shared the same fate as the plate and other treasures. At the visitation of Edward VI's commissioners the inventory at Deane included "iij great Bells iiij Sacryngbells....." A sacring bell was small and hung inside the church. It was rung during the prayer of consecration. The next mention of church bells appears to be in 1718, when a rate was levied for the purchase of six bells, but it was not until 1723 that they were hung in the tower; the tenor bell weighed 12 cwt. The first entry in the oldest churchwardens' account book in our records reads: "....by ye consent of ye Vicar and Church Wardens of ye Parish of Dean yt ye sum of forty pounds be collected and gathered towards ye new hanging of ye Bells and other incidental charges belonging to their Parish Church." It was signed by James Rothwell, Vicar, and ten churchwardens.
The names of two churchwardens were inscribed on each bell. The sixth read: "James Rothwell, vicar: W.Worthington, C.W.: Richard Sanders made us all 6: 1718."
In 1896 they were taken down, the inside of the tower walls were rebuilt and strengthened with iron girders, the bearings and frames for the bells were renewed, and two new bells added, thus completing the octave.
The bells were recast and rehung in 1955 at a cost of £1,534, and repairs done inside the tower. Inscribed on each bell are words from the Magnificat - appropriate to a church dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin. The original inscriptions have been retained.
More information about the bells can be found in a separate area.
Royal Coat of Arms
Elizabeth Heelis Window
George Marsh Window
John Kynaston Cross Window
The European War 1914-1918 Memorial window
Sunday School Window