Links to documents on the Lambeth Palace website have been restored.
Menu system changed to help mobile devices.
The Hultons were big landowners in the area. Until his death in the 1990s, Sir Geoffrey Hulton was a regular visitor, always welcomed. The area has many links with the family, Little Hulton; Middle Hulton, Over Hulton; Hulton Lane and Hulton Park where until recently the Scouts had a campsite. Unfortunately since the death of Sir Geoffrey, his estate passed to a more commercially biased heir and the Scouts in Lancashire have bought their own site.
In the Hulton Chapel are tablets in memory of:-
Georgina Maria Clough, youngest daughter of William Ford Hulton, died 1864.
William Rothwell Hulton, 2nd baronet, died 1943.
Hugh Thurston Hulton, died 1862.
Sarah Matilda Hulton, only daughter of Ralph Rothwell, wife of William W.B., eldest son of W.F.Hulton, died 1873.
Rear Admiral Edward Grey Hulton, younger son of William Ford Hulton, died 1923.
Alan Edward Grey Hulton, only son of Rear Admiral Edward Grey Hulton, died from wounds, 1915.
In the wall of the south aisle, near the Hulton Chapel, there is a small marble tablet which reads
"Juxta hoc sepulchrale marmor, Pietatis ergo et memoriae positum, Reliquias suas condivoluerunt,Plurima de stirpe Hultoniana," which, translated, is: "Near this sepulchral tablet, erected as an affectionate memorial, a great number of the Hulton family have caused their remains to be interred."
The Hulton documents suggest that interments other than the Hultons have been made in the chapel. Of several applications for such burial is one dated 7th April, 1676, in which Robert Reeve, of Westhoughton, yeoman, asks leave of William Hilton, of Hilton, Esq., to inter the body of James, his son, in Mr.Hilton's chapel in Deane Church.
There are two small effigies - wooden plaques - of knights in armour, each with the Hulton lion carved on the shield. They are obviously very old, as can be seen from the condition of the wood, and as the subject of the memorials would indicate.
The white ensign was Admiral Hulton's flag from his ship, HMS Hercules; replicas of his medals are fixed on his memorial tablet.
Three brass tablets provides each its own historical record:-
On the front of a carved door to the Hulton pew, removed in 1985 when the organ console was resited, a tablet read: "This door was removed from the ancient pew of the Hulton family in the collegiate church of Manchester A.D. MDCCCXLVII," and in the centre of the door is the Hulton shield. We are unsure of its fate.
The tablet on the back of the door read "D.O.M.- This tablet records the privilege granted by a merciful God to William Hulton, of Hulton Park, and to Maria, his beloved wife, who on the re-opening of Dean Church on the XV day of December A.D. MDCCCXXXIII under the personal ministration of the Rt. Rev. John Bird Sumner, Bishop of Chester, the Rev. Edward Girdlestone being Vicar, were graciously permitted to worship the Almighty for the first time in this newly arranged gallery. The parents being accompanied in their devotions by their ten surviving children. Namely........" And follows the names and dates of birth of each, beginning with the eldest:-
"William Ford, born XIX Septr MDCCCXI."
On a panel inside the pew a tablet is inscribed:-
On this day Deane Church was re-opened after the removal of the galleries, the renewal of the roof, the extension of the chancel, and general restoration. William Wilbraham Blethyn Hulton of Hulton Park and Margaret Lucy, his wife, were permitted by the Grace of God to attend the opening services with his four surviving children....." of whom the eldest was "William Rothwell born XVI Feb. MDCCCLXVIII."
In a Hulton Deed dated 11th July, 1521, reference is made to "The Altar to our Lady on the south side of the church." This is an interesting document in that it confirms the account of the further extension of the church in the early 16th century as given in the "Victoria County History of Lancashire." There were then at this time three altars in the church, viz., high altar in the chancel, one in the chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity and St.Anne on the north side and the above mentioned Altar of our Lady on the south side.
The Hulton Accounts show that in 1764 William Hulton defrayed the cost- £16 11s. 6d. - for "Filling up the seats in his chapel......"
In the window on the east wall we see two oval pieces of stained glass, beautifully designed, showing the arms of the Hulton family. Probably from the 17th Century, it is the oldest stained glass in the Church. The window was restored in 1954.
Over the years, glaziers who have worked on the building have put their names on the glass of this window.
On the south wall is a three-lights window in memory of Sir William Hulton (born 1844) who died in 1907.
The left light shows St. Luke with a lily
The centre light - St. George and the Dragon
The right light - St. Peter with fish and sceptre.
The Screen was erected around 1766.
Royal Coat of Arms
Elizabeth Heelis Window
George Marsh Window
John Kynaston Cross Window
The European War 1914-1918 Memorial window
Sunday School Window