Updated 30 August 2016

Links to documents on the Lambeth Palace website have been restored.

Menu system changed to help mobile devices.

Church Plate

The church owns a lot of silver items, which is kept secure in a bank vault. Some dates back to 1607.

We use silver, partly for its durability, at our Communion services for the distribution of bread from the 'paten' and wine from the 'chalice'.

The church plate includes a number of treasures of historic interest:-

  • A chalice with the hall-mark of 1607. It is plain and without inscription except that "Deane Church" has been inscribed on the base in recent times.
  • A large chalice inscribed, "The guift of Mr.John Aynsworth unto the Parish of Deane in Lancasheire in the yeare of our Lord 1655."
  • A cover paten with the inscription, "The guift of Mrs. Judeth Hulton unto the parish Church of Deane in Lancasheire in the yeare of our Lord 1655," and the arms of Hulton of Hulton.
  • A credence paten inscribed, "Ex dono Anna Kenyon Viduae Georgii Kenyon nuper de Peel in Com. Lanc. Armigeri 1729," with the arms of Kenyon impaling Egerton in a lozenge and the mark of William Atkinson- the gift of Anna Kenyon, widow of George Kenyon, lately of Peel, in the County of Lancaster, Esqr.
  • Two patens of 1782, with the mark of Daniel Smith and Robert Sharpe. These are heavily chased and stand on three shaped feet. They are not really ecclesiastical plate but salvers.
  • Two small flagons with the 1801 mark, each inscribed, "Presented 1st Jany. 1828 to the Parish Church of Dean by Jane daughter of Peter Brooke Esqr of Mere Hall Cheshire and relict of William Hulton Esqr. of Hulton Park who died 24th June 1800." (This is the William Hulton and Jane Brooke previously mentioned in connection with the Hulton hatchments.)
  • A credence paten with the 1846 mark inscribed "Gift of Parish 1846."
  • A paten of 1901, Birmingham make, inscribed, "The gift of Mrs.Elizabeth Marsh unto the Parish Church of Dean in Lancs. on the Coronation of Ed. VII June 26, 1902." The inscription was obviously made before this date, for, owing to the king's illness, the coronation was postponed till August 9th.

Other silver plate has been given as memorials in recent years.
Much valuable church plate that had escaped confiscation by Henry VIII was taken by the Duke of Somerset, Lord Protector of the Kingdom during the reign of Edward VI (1547-1553). Churches were allowed to retain a chalice and a paten.

An indenture "made ye laste daye of Sept. in ye VIth yere off ye Reigne off or sovyng lorde Edward the Sexte" revealed that the inventory at Deane included "ii chaleses, iii copes, viii vestments to say masse in Lackyng ........"

The new Liturgy of the Prayer Book written in the mother tongue had recently superseded the saying of "masse in Lacking (Latin)."
During the investigation at Deane it was found that a chalice which had been in the custody of Adam Hulton, Esq., had been stolen. Lambert Heaton claimed a chalice and suit of mass vestments, which were in the church, as heirlooms. It would appear that these were the chalice and vestments provided by Richard Heaton for use in the chapel of timber dedicated to the Holy Trinity and St.Anne. It is interesting also to read that a "chalese" and vestments were found in "ye custodie of Sir James Laithwaite," who was described as "our Lady's prest." It is suggested that this chalice and vestments were those claimed by Lambert Heaton, and that James Laithwaite was chaplain to the Heaton family- "Sir" was a courtesy title.